One of the best things I read last year were actually the comments on this blog post about what was inspiring people. It really moved me to see where people were finding inspiration, solace and a bit of peace.
And, with the first three months of this year being filled with people asking "Does it spark joy" when it came to Marie Kondo inspired-clean outs, it got me thinking more about what brings me joy in life. It is also something I’ve had to think about daily as I work to practice gratitude via my 5 Minute Journal.
Some things that have been bringing me joy lately:
- The wit & whimsy x New York Cares volunteer outing this past weekend! It made me so happy that a group of us came together to donate our Saturdays to the city. We helped weed in the Tompkins Square Garden and it was so great to spend time with and meet some of my readers! To those of you who came out – you gals are the best!!
- The Marco Polo video chat threads I have going with my BFFs. We all live far from each other and have taken up sending these video messages with one another and they bring me so much joy to see their faces throughout the day and hear what’s going on in their day to day lives.
- Sunny mornings. With so much rain over the past month, when I wake up to sun pouring through my windows it makes me so happy.
- Long phone calls with my mom. My mom calls them "our chats" and they’re my favorite.
- The promise of summer in the air. I have a few summer trips booked that I can’t wait for and I’m also already so looking forward to warmer, longer evenings, lots of ice cream, reading in the shade, walks with friends and so many other things that make summer great.
- My work. While this year has been more stressful on the work front, it has also made the rewards all that much sweeter. I’ve managed to broaden my horizons on what constitutes work and I’ve been more purposeful with how I spend my time.
- The Brene Brown special on Netflix. I mentioned it before but it really did speak to me. It also led me to listening to more of her talks on a variety of podcasts and on TED and it led me to begin this book of hers last week which I’m already loving.
- Becoming a godmother. It touched me deeply that my friends would ask me to be the godmother of their son. I am so glad I was able to be a part of the baptism the other weekend and truly honored to play a special role in his life for always.
- Pausing my inbox. More on this to come in a post next week but the joy factor on this one for me is OFF THE CHARTS!
- Bee earrings. While I was in California earlier this month, I was telling my friend Julie about how I was learning to look for more signs in life. This book told me I needed to identify an actual symbol that I could associate with signs of good to come or the universe doing its work and the first thing that came to mind was a bee of all things. Julie shared she had been doing the same of late but lady bugs were her sign. We started to see lady bugs in the next day and after lunch she took me to a shop where she promptly purchased me the sweetest pair of bee earrings she had seen before our conversation. They make me so happy to wear and remember that things are always happening and surrendering control on certain things will lead to goodness.
So now it is your turn…what is bringing you joy these days?
Dress (wearing a Medium; also here. Other cute similar styles here, here, here) // Jean Jacket (last seen here; wearing a Medium) // Staud Bag // Espadrilles (last seen here) // SugarFix by BaubleBar Barrette (c/o) // Miansai Cuff // Similar Sunglasses
p.s. results from my personality test and how I’m working manifestations into my life.