This past Fall I did a post entitled "things making me happy right now" so today’s post is a twist on that. While I don’t love the month of January due to the weather, I absolutely love the feeling of starting fresh. I’ve loved easing into the new year so far and have been feeling happy and excited for the days ahead.
So, in no particular order, and in partnership with Crest 3D Whitestrips, here’s a list of things making me smile of late:
- A return to podcasts. When I got so busy in Q4 of 2018, I totally fell out of listening to my favorite podcasts. The last few weeks I’ve prioritized working my way through episodes from some of my favorites and it has been inspiring me in a lot of ways. Podcasts I’m loving right now include goop, How I Built This, Second Life and Oprah’s Super Soul Conversations. (I’d love to hear your guys’ favorites!)
- A return to reading. Similarly to the above, I’ve finally gotten back to reading. I ditched my iPad books and started working my way through the neglected Book of the Months I had piled up and man it just feels so nice to hold a book in your hand and have a good reading session, doesn’t it? The time I took off over the holidays certainly helped this although I have to admit it takes me a few days to get over weird guilt related to laying on the couch and reading – anyone else feel this way? Anyhow, I’ve been ending my days reading good books and it’s made me smile that I’m prioritizing reading instead of mindless television.
- Ticking through my to do list. Nothing makes me smile or feel more accomplished than making progress on my to do list. So far this year I’ve organized my kitchen cabinets, cleaned out my beauty stash, sorted loads of receipts, tidied my desk, finally got my brows done, cleared out things I didn’t have a purpose for, booked an eye exam, signed up for a library card, finally ordered some picture frames for my apartment, ordered a new plant and completed a lot of those pesky errands that are so easy to put off.
- A newly white smile. I’m so thrilled to kick off 2019 working with Crest 3D Whitestrips because I’ve used them for nearly ten years and written about them loads on the blog before (see here, here, here). I typically use Crest 3D Whitestrips twice a year to keep my smile bright + white (I often have friends remarking and inquiring how I get my smile so white and I always lead them to these) and during the holidays joined the Crest Whitestrips Challenge to use a box of Crest 3D White Glamorous White Whitestrips + Crest Blue Light to whiten my smile for the new year. You apply the strips for 30 minutes (you can talk and drink with them on and I typically use this as an opportunity to apply a favorite face mask, too #beautydoubleduty!) and then you use the blue light for five minutes. You’ll see results in just three days and after you use the entire box (14 days of treatments) your smile will stay whiter for months. I last used Crest 3D Whitestrips before my brother’s wedding (he used them, too in preparation for the big day!) And, despite using them for years and years, I’m always amazed and so pleased with the results (my before/after can be found below). I know a lot of people have hesitation with sensitivity (myself included as I use a sensitivity toothpaste year round) but if you have this, just alternate a day off in between each treatment and use a toothpaste that’ll help with any sensitivity as you work through the box of treatments. If you want to join the challenge yourself (can’t recommend it enough!) you can get a box for $20 off by purchasing here with the code SMILE. There’s really no better time because, if you’re like me, you’ve spent the last few months powering through the holidays with coffee and enjoying one too many red wines both of which stain your teeth.
- Friend time. I’ve had the best time getting together with friends this month following the holiday break. I love cozy January dates holed up in coffee shops or brunch spots catching up about the holidays and goals for the year.
- Travel plans. As I mentioned in my 2019 goals post, I have a relatively clean slate for travel this year. 2018 held an abundance of travel for me and this year will most likely have less but it’s been so fun to play around with Kayak and other travel sites to see where I might want to explore this year. I’ll definitely be going to Scotland at some point to visit my brother + his wife and am also looking at possibly doing the South of France before or after spending my birthday in Paris hopefully.
- Cooking + a better eating habits. Is there anything better than your first grocery shop of the year where you spend more time (and money) in the produce section than any other week? I bought so many veggies and scoured my cookbooks to find some healthy recipes. I’ve been making these a lot. So easy and delicious. And while I’m not doing Dry January (the last time I tried that I gained five pounds because I ate so many carbs and sweets in place of the booze!) I’ve largely limited any alcohol intake since New Year’s Eve.
- Getting back to meditating. I’m by no means close to doing this anywhere near daily but even just the few days I’ve done it this month have improved my sleep and my overall mindset. I’m so glad to have this back in my life and am going to schedule a few in-person sessions at Inscape soon, too.
- Volunteering. The other week I volunteered at a local food bank and it left my heart really full. Then someone asked on Instagram if I’d consider doing this with some readers in NYC and over 100 of you guys voted that you’d be interested in joining – WOOT! I’m now in touch with New York Cares to see what we might be able to arrange – stay tuned!!
My Before & After the Crest 3D Whitestrips Challenge
So tell me…what’s making you smile this week!?
. . .
Ann Taylor Jacket (wearing 4) // Madewell Bodysuit (wearing Large) // Levi’s Jeans // Sarah Flint Shoes // Bag
p.s. 2018’s most popular posts and things to gift yourself.