This Instant Pot Tortellini Soup receives universal raves – and for good reason – it’s hearty, flavorful (it’s got a good kick!), versatile and incredibly easy to whip up! Try it today and let us know what you think!
We’re such a fan of this tortellini soup!
It’s been our goal to create recipes for you that are as versatile as your family is! If yours is anything like mine, each person loves a little something different. Some of us are plant based or vegan, others are not.
What I love about this Instant Pot Tortellini Soup is you can change the ingredients out quickly and easily. Simply drop most of your ingredients in your Instant Pot, Pressure Cook and you’re good to go!
It’s the perfect yummy soup for these cooler temperatures! In less than 10-15 minutes, you’ve got a delicious lunch or dinner on the table for the whole family!
For all of my Vegan friends, you can easily make this dish a Vegan friendly one, as well. Simply replace the dairy products with Vegan substitutes and remove the half-and-half. We have tried it both ways and it’s still so delicious. Our family personally love the Kite Hill spinach ravioli or Kite Hill cheese tortellini. You can typically find both at Whole Foods and many Target locations.
Now, let’s get to the good stuff – the details on how to make this crowd pleasing Instant Pot Tortellini Soup!
Also, if you’re looking for a few other Instant Pot recipes to try this week, here are a few of my favorites:
- Instant Pot Olive Garden Zuppa Toscana Soup
- Instant Pot 5 Cheese Mac & Cheese Topped With Maple Bacon
- Instant Pot Turkey Mushroom Bolognese
- Instant Pot Creamy Garlic Parmesan Chicken Pasta
TIPS FOR MAKING TORTELLINI SOUP:
If you have been following the blog for any time, you know we really love recipes that are versatile. This soup is absolutely one of those! And, it’s one of our all-time family favorites.
What’s great about this Instant Pot Tortellini Soup is you can change it up so many different ways to accommodate the needs and wants of your family. For examples, this Tortellini soup is also great with the addition of a little bit of celery and carrots.
Similarly, you’re welcome to add meat like an Italia sausage. If you don’t have or like Italian sausage, you can also use ground beef. Prefer chicken sausage? Go for it! Only have linked sausage? Add that instead! It truly is a soup you can make your own and still have it be incredibly delicious!
Last, if you’re not a fan of Kale, you can also choose to replace with spinach. See, so versatile!
For this recipe I also used cheese tortellini, but you could also choose to use a tortellini with meat, mushrooms, etc. The sky is the limit!
INGREDIENTS FOR INSTANT POT TORTELLINI SOUP:
- 1 medium yellow onion, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 celery stalk, finally chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 4 cups chicken stock (I use 2 cups low sodium and 2 cups regular broth and it still tastes delicious!)
- 1 can fire roasted tomatoes
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese (optional)
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 tablespoons Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon garlic pepper
- 1 bunch kale, stems removed
- 1 cup half-and-half or heavy cream
- 10-12 ounce bag of tortellini, fresh (I used a mixed three cheese, but any flavor such as cheese and spinach or with meat is also awesome!)
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes (optional)
- Shredded Parmesan cheese (optional)
- 1 teaspoon Kosher salt
LOOKING TO MAKE THIS RECIPE VEGAN OR PLANT BASED FRIENDLY?
If you are looking for a dairy-free, plant based or vegan recipe you can simply replace the ingredients above with the following:
- Use say milk or coconut milk in place of half and half or whole milk
- Replace the tortellini pasta with a vegan or plant based option such as Kite Hill vegan tortellini or ravioli.
- Replace the Parmesan cheese with a dairy-free or vegan option. There’s a large variety at Whole Foods, Target and Aldi.
SERVES 6-8 PEOPLE.
HOW TO MAKE INSTANT POT TORTELLINI SOUP:
- Turn your Instant Pot on and select the ‘Saute’ function.
- Add Olive oil, onions and garlic and saute until onions are slightly browned, about 4-5 minutes.
- Press ‘Cancel’ to turn off the Instant Pot and reset the cooking function.
- Add broth, fire roasted tomatoes, tomato paste, celery, Italian seasoning, garlic pepper, Kosher salt, red pepper flakes and basil to the Instant Pot.
- Secure the lip, select ‘Pressure Cook’ or ‘Manual’ and cook on high for 8 minutes. The pot will take a few minutes to heat up before cooking begins.
- When timer beeps, quick release pressure or ‘Venting’ to release steam fully.
- Once the steam is fully released, remove the lip and stir in cream, tortellini, grated Parmesan cheese and kale. Continue to cook on warm or saute on medium or low until the kale is soft or slightly wilted and pasta is softened slightly, about 5 minutes.
- Add any additional seasoning to taste.
- Serve and enjoy!!
- Top with Parmesan cheese, too!