Calling all gravy lovers! This Instant Pot Meatballs and Gravy recipe with cauliflower mash is a new Instant Pot must-try dish!
I can almost guarantee it will have your family running to the kitchen for seconds!
There are so many things to love about these Instant Pot Meatballs and Gravy! They are full of flavor, can be cooked in one pot and only takes about 20-30 minutes.
To make it really easy on you and your family, this recipe calls for pre-made or frozen meatballs and packaged cauliflower mash. While I love both recipes homemade, these last few weeks have been really busy for our family. Simpler was better today.
But, the true star of of this meatballs and gravy is in fact the gravy itself! It’s so delicious and had our family eating it all in minutes! The gravy is thick and rich with so much flavor.
As always, I have included substitutes for those that want to make this recipe more plant-based, keto and/or vegan friendly. I personally used plant-based meatballs (this is the second time we have used Pure Farmland Italian Style Meatballs and they were delicious!) and Idaho Spuds Veggie Mash. Both can be found at most Target, Whole Foods and Mariano’s grocery stores.
I also made this recipe with ground beef meatballs and buttery mashed potatoes and I have to say, I thought the plant-based versions here were just as good – if not better! And, that’s a lot for me to say!
I can’t wait to hear how you like this meatballs and gravy in your Instant Pot! We hope you love it as much as we do!
Now, let’s get to the good stuff – the details on how to make this crowd pleasing Instant Pot Meatballs and Gravy! Delicious!
Also, if you’re looking for a few other Instant Pot recipes to try this week, here are a few of my favorites:
- Instant Pot Olive Garden Zuppa Toscana Soup
- Instant Pot 5 Cheese Mac & Cheese Topped With Maple Bacon
- Instant Pot Turkey Mushroom Bolognese
- Instant Pot Creamy Garlic Parmesan Chicken Pasta
CAN YOU USE FROZEN MEATBALLS?
Absolutely! As I mentioned, I am all for making meatballs from scratch, but these last few weeks our family has been traveling and we needed something that was going to make life just a tad easier. So, pre-made meatballs it is!
As we mentioned at the beginning of the post, we used Pure Farmland Italian Style plant-based meatballs which were so delicious!
TIPS FOR MAKING INSTANT POT MEATBALLS AND GRAVY:
- As you’ll note in the ingredients below, I added a little bit of red wine to this gravy recipe. By no means do you have to do the same. The red wine will cook off during the cooking process. But, the recipe is just as yummy without it.
- This recipe will make a good amount of gravy. My family loves a good hearty dish of gravy over cauliflower mashed potatoes so feel free to lessen the ingredients below, if needed.
- The gravy and cauliflower or mashed potatoes can be stored for several days as leftovers. If you find that the gravy has gelled at all, simply heat over the stove on a slow simmer while stirring regularly. If needed, you can also add additional beef broth to make the gravy less thick.
- If you choose to use frozen meatballs, note it may take the Instant Pot a tad more time to come to pressure compared with thawed meatballs.
WANT TO MAKE YOUR MEATBALLS WITH GRAVY VEGAN, PLANT-BASED OR KETO-FRIENDLY?
If you are looking to make this recipe a keto, vegan and/or plant-based friendly, simply replace the above ingredients as mentioned below.
- Meatballs: Swap out your ground meatballs with a plant-based alternative like Beyond Meat or Pure Farmland. This was our second time trying the Pure Farmland Italian style meatballs (we also made them in this delicious Instant Pot Meatball Rigatoni Soup and I was really impressed. They pack 14 grams of protein with each serving and had a great natural flavor.
- Mashed Potatoes: We used cauliflower mash as opposed to mashed potatoes for this recipe and no one in our family could tell the difference! They were just as tasty, smooth and full of flavor, but with half the carbs. You can find a number of good cauliflower mash options in the same grocery isle as your packaged mashed potato brands.
- Beef Broth: I get it, this is a brown gravy so why would we substitute for another other than beef broth. However, I have tried this recipe with vegetable broth as well and it’s still just as delicious.
- Butter: There are now a number of good plant-based and vegan butter options available at your local grocery store. A few of our favorite options include (all available at Target):
- Miyoko’s Vegan Butter
- Earth Balance Soy Free Butter (also vegan friendly)
- New Country Crock Almond Plant Butter
INGREDIENTS FOR MEATBALLS AND GRAVY
- 2 tablespoons olive oil (you can also use avocado oil)
- 1 pound of pre-made meatballs, about 12 meatballs (I used Italian style, I used a plant-based meatballs from Pure Farmland. You can also use frozen, if needed.)
- 1/2 cup chopped onions
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 cup beef stock
- Pinch of salt
- 1/4 cup dry red wine (optional)
- 1 teaspoon garlic pepper (you can also just use regular pepper)
- Cornstarch slurry (use if you would like your gravy thicker)
- To make a cornstarch slurry, combining 2 tablespoons of cornstarch and 1/2 cup of water and mix well. Add this to the gravy to help thicken it.
- Chopped parsley for garnish
NOTE: I have also made this recipe with mushrooms which is also delicious!
HOW TO MAKE MEATBALLS AND GRAVY:
- Turn your Instant Pot on and select the ‘Saute’ function on high.
- When the Instant Pot is hot, add in olive oil and meatballs. Cook meatballs until all sides are slightly browned, about 10 minutes. They do not need to be cooked all the way as they will continue to cook during the pressure cooking phase. NOTE: be sure to move the meatballs regularly to ensure they do not stick to the bottom of your Instant Pot. Doing so will ensure you do not receive the ‘Burn’ notification.
- Once meatballs are evenly browned, remove the meatballs and set aside for now.
- While still on the ‘Saute’ function, add in butter and onions and saute until onions are slightly browned and caramelized. Add minced garlic and continue to saute for an additional minute or two.
- Add in beef stock and scrape the bottom of the pot gently to deglaze.
- Add in salt, garlic pepper and red wine (optional) and stir contents.
- Select the ‘Cancel’ function to reset the cooking function.
- Add meatballs back into your Instant Pot and select the ‘Pressure Cook’ or ‘Manual’ function on high.
- Secure the Instant Pot lid and pressure cook for 10 minutes.
- Once the timer beeps, allow the pressure to naturally release for 5 minutes then quick release all remaining pressure.
- Carefully remove the meatballs from the Instant Pot once again and set aside until gravy is thickened.
- While on ‘warming’, add cornstarch slurry to the Instant Pot and stir until contents are well combined.
- Taste and add any additional seasoning needed.
- Once gravy has thickened to your liking, add the meatballs back into the Instant Pot and stir until meatballs are covered in gravy.
- Serve over mashed cauliflower or mashed potatoes.
- In a large pan on the stove top over medium heat, add olive and meatballs and brown evenly on each side.
- Once meatballs are browned evenly, remove from the stove top and set aside for the moment.
- In the same large pan, begin to melt butter.
- Once the butter it hot, add onions, salt, garlic pepper and stir until onions are slightly browned and caramelized, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in red wine (optional) and continue to cook for an additional 1-2 minutes.
- Slowly whisk in beef stock until gravy starts to thicken, about 5 minutes.
- Remove the pan for the heat for a moment and whisk in cornstarch slurry and stir until all contents are mixed well and gravy continue to thicken to your liking.
- Add meatballs into the large pan and mix well until meatballs are well covered.
- Serve over cauliflower mash and enjoy!
NOTE: Be sure to see the ‘Tips’ above for reheating and storing instructions!