Creamy, delicious meatballs, oh my! This meatball stroganoff recipe is a new all-time favorite in the Instant Pot! It is truly incredible and packed with TONS of flavor! Can’t wait to hear your thoughts immediately.
We’ve been waiting the last several weeks to make this meatball stroganoff recipe. It always seemed a bit more complicated than I was hoping for so I continued to put it off.
That was until I found the recipe from Pressure Luck Cooking. If you’re not following him, do so soon. He’s essentially the king of Instant Pot recipes. This will be the first of his I have tried, but I am already a fan.
If you’ve followed the blog for any period of time, you may know my family is mostly vegan and vegetarian. So, while this recipe from Jeffrey is typically made with beef (a Beef Stroganoff), I made it with plant based meatballs instead (regular meatballs would be delicious, as well). Honestly, this recipe was so delicious. A new Instant Pot favorite.
In addition to changing out the meat for meatballs, I also made just a few slight modifications to the original recipe. I hope you love it as much as I do!
Now, let’s get to the good stuff – the details on this incredible meatball stroganoff! Make it for your family and watch them come running for seconds!
TIPS FOR MAKING MEATBALL STROGANOFF:
- This recipe will make a good amount of gravy. My family loves a good hearty dish of gravy over the pasta noodles so feel free to lessen the ingredients below, if needed.
- This recipe can be stored for several days as leftovers. It tastes just as good the next day as fresh! Although, I’d be surprised if there are any leftovers at all.
- If you choose to use frozen meatballs, note it may take the Instant Pot a tad more time to come to pressure compared with thawed meatballs.
- Also, you’ll notice I don’t cook the egg pasta in the Instant Pot. The shells have a tendency to absorb too much of the sauce.
INGREDIENTS FOR MEATBALL STROGANOFF:
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 15-20 pre-made meatballs (you can also use frozen meatballs, if preferred. I chose to use plant-based meatballs for this recipe)
- 1 tablespoon Thyme
- Salt & pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 10-12 ounces egg noodles (you will cook the egg noodles on the stove top. You do not want to cook them in the IP as they will absorb too much of the sauce. My family just happens to like less noodles and more meat and sauce so I cooked 10 ounces of noodles for my family of 4).
- 2 tablespoons corn starch + 2 tablespoons water (this is the cornstarch slurry. Mix both together well in a cup)
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1.25 cup beef broth
- 1 packet of onion mix
- 5.2 ounce Boursin Garlic & Fine Herbs (you can typically find in the cheese isle at your local grocery store)
- 8 ounces Baby Belle mushrooms (if you like more mushrooms, feel free to increase)
LOOKING FOR MORE INSTANT POT RECIPES? HERE ARE A FEW OF OUR FAVORITES:
- Instant Pot Tortellini Soup
- Instant Pot Cauliflower Mac & Cheese
- Instant Pot Creamy Tuscan Pasta
- Instant Pot Chicken & Shrimp Carbonara
HOW TO MAKE THE BEST MEATBALL STROGANOFF:
NOTE: If you are using frozen meatballs, follow steps 1 and 2, but do not add meatballs as instructed during step 2. Instead, follow all other steps and add the frozen meatballs during step 8. Something to note, as well, it make take the Instant Pot just a bit more time to come to pressure since the meatballs are frozen.
- Turn Instant Pot on and select the ‘Saute’ function on high.
- Add olive oil, butter and meatballs and saute until meatballs are slightly browned on the sides. You do not need to fully cook the meatballs as they will continue to cook during the pressure cooking stage. NOTE: You will want to move the meatballs in the pan regularly so they do not stick to the bottom. Doing so will help you avoid the ‘Burn’ notice later.
- Once meatballs are slightly browned, use a ladle or spoon to scoop them out of the Instant Pot into a bowl. Set aside for now.
- With the oil and butter left in the Instant Pot, add onions and saute until slightly softened, about 2-3 minutes.
- Add mushrooms, stir and continue to saute with the onions for an additional 3-4 minutes.
- Add garlic, stir and continue to cook for an additional 1-2 minutes.
- Add Dijon mustard, stir and cook for 1 more minute.
- Add beef broth, thyme and meatballs you had set aside. Place the Instant Pot lid on the Instant Pot. Select the ‘Cancel’ function to reset the cooking function.
- Next, select the ‘Pressure Cook’ function on high and set the timer to 7 minutes. Press ‘Start.’ NOTE: It will take the Instant Pot about 10 minutes to come to pressure before the cooking time begins.
- Once the timer beeps, quick release allowing all pressure to release from the pot before removing the lid. Carefully remove the lid.
- Once you remove the lid, select the ‘Cancel’ function and then select the ‘Saute’ function on high. Allow the mixture to come to a bit of a boil.
- Mix in the cornstarch slurry and stir immediately. Next, add the onion mixture and continue to stir.
- After 2-3 minutes, select the ‘Cancel’ function and then the ‘Warm’ function to slightly cool the mixture.
- After 3-4 minutes, add in sour cream and Boursin and stir until all ingredients are mixed well.
- Serve over egg noodles and watch your family come running for more!