Welcome to Part Two of our Fall Trader Joe’s Wine and Food Series!
ICYMI: I teamed up with my friend and local food stylist, Diana, and she created three recipes using Trader Joe’s fall items, and I paired each recipe with a Trader Joe’s wine. Make sure to check out the first TJ’s food and wine pairing in our series: the Warm Sweet Potato Salad Bowl!
Today’s recipe would make for a fantastic dinner option. It’s super easy to prepare and gives you a blast of fall flavor! Don’t forget: if you enjoy Diana’s recipes, make sure to give her a follow on Instagram.
Trader Joe’s Wine and Butternut Squash and Mushroom Risotto
Let’s face it: don’t we all love a good pasta in the fall? Make a bowl of this Butternut Squash and Mushroom Risotto, curl up under a blanket, and grab a glass of vino. This is the perfect dish to make on a night when you want to cozy up at home!
You can read Diana’s note about the dish below:
"This dish is a perfect fall comfort food. Using Trader Joe’s frozen mushroom risotto and their precut butternut squash makes this a very simple meal to make. However, if you know and love a really good risotto, and you have time, you can always opt for making the risotto from scratch; it will end up a bit creamier. If not, this is an excellent option for a fall-inspired quick comfort food."
The wine I decided to pair with this dish is the Cecilia Beretta Conegliano Valdobbiadene Prosecco Brut Superiore. The name is quite a mouthful, but this under $15 bubbly is fresh, fragrant, and has notes of citrus. Sparkling wine and mushrooms is one of my favorite food/wine pairings, especially for fall. Mushrooms pair well with a lot of different wines. However, this prosecco will taste divine with the creaminess of the risotto. This dish will also pair well with an Oaked Chardonnay or a Rioja if you’re looking for a red or white option!
Butternut Squash and Mushroom Risotto
A fall-inspired comfort food dish.
4 cups butternut squash, small diced
¼ cup dry white wine
2 tablespoons butter
3 ounces mushrooms, sliced
1 bag Trader Joe’s frozen mushroom risotto
Grated Parmesan, as a garnish
- In a large sauté pan add 1 cup of water and butternut squash, bring to a simmer. Cook until butternut squash is soft and water has been absorbed.
- Once water has been absorbed add butter and mushrooms. Cook, stirring frequently for 3-4 minutes.
- At this point the mushrooms and butternut squash will start sticking to the pan, don’t panic, add in ¼ cup of wine, this will help release the bits stuck the bottom of the pan.
- Next, add in the whole bag of Trader Joe’s Frozen Mushroom Risotto, stirring constantly until the whole mix is hot throughout.
- Divide among bowls and garnish with parmesan cheese.