Personally, I never could get on board with the idea of a capsule wardrobe. I just like a variety of clothes + accessories too much! But, I very much understand the appeal of the concept. It makes getting dressed easier, you only buy the basics or the classics, you shop less…see? It’s a compelling concept.
When a reader asked if I could write about a capsule wardrobe I figured Fall was the perfect time to do so. Today I’m breaking down what I think would make up an ideal Fall capsule wardrobe that would allow you to combine various pieces for a ton of variety when it comes to putting together outfits. They are desert island basics…the classics. They are all timeless and able to be styled a multitude of ways.
A Fall Capsule Wardrobe:
- A heeled bootie. My all time favorite heeled booties are the Rag & Bone Newbury boots. They’ve been in style for over 5 years and keep coming back year after year because of how versatile they are and more importantly, how comfortable. Close runner ups are these that are a bit more dressy. If you want a casual, lower heeled bootie I highly recommend the Everlane Day Boot (recently reviewed here) and if brown suede is more your look these are a great pair (at a great price). Joie also makes some of the most comfortable shoes I own and they also have super stylish pairs of heeled booties.
- A great t-shirt. I just bought one from Cuyana and I am totally in love with it. The quality is great and so is the fit on the Medium. (For once I didn’t have to buy a large!) And the price is just right, too. I’m also super happy with this white t-shirt I talked about in this post.
- A utility jacket. This is an ideal Fall (and Spring) jacket for work and weekends. It looks great with a variety of tops. I love this one, I own this one (seen here) and this one is great, too.
- A great coat. Coats make winter bearable from a fashion perspective in my opinion and I recently shared my go-tos and a lot of great options in this post. I will say I always feel amazing when I put this camel one on.
- A tote you’ll use all the time. I always get asked about recommendations for work bags and I always send people to Everlane for their Market Tote and Cuyana for their great selection of totes. You truly can’t beat their prices for the excellent quality and so many of you have told me how happy you’ve been with your purchases from both brands.
- Sleek sneakers. There are sneakers and then there are stylish sneakers. Ever since splurging on these (size IT 36 – I am a size 7 in US) I have worn them non-stop with everything from dresses to shorts to jeans. Buy a classic pair that are comfortable yet sleek. These and these are similar to the Common Projects but more affordable and then I own these and these which are both affordable, classic sneaker options.
- A classic button down. I only just found one that I love (wearing it in this post – sizing details below) but there’s nothing better than a button down paired with a good pair of jeans or black pants. Utterly classic and great for so many occasions. I also think a silk button down is so chic and I love my Equipment one (the fit is incredibly flattering) and also the Everlane ones.
- Dress up / Dress down flats. Ahhh, your 30s. When flats become your go-to instead of heels. I now look for flats that can work with a variety of outfits from everything to jeans to skirts/dresses. I like these and these and you guys have heard me talk about these nonstop. My Chanel ballet flats were also very worth the money given how much I wear them.
- Jeans that make you feel damn good. We all need jeans that we put on and feel instantly better in yet so many people I know just buy cheap jeans that serve a purpose instead of doing things for your body! Do your homework and try on lots and lots of brands to determine which ones you love! And if you wear jeans a lot then invest in a brand that is made really well and won’t stretch after one wear and end up adding weight to your figure. I shared all my favorite jeans recently here.
- A blazer. A good blazer can take you places and it is worth finding one that you love and can rely on. I think J.Crew’s blazers are the best bang for your buck. I size down to a 4 in their styles. If you’re looking for a blazer with a stylish plaid print, check out this post.
- A cashmere sweater. I think this cashmere sweater is maybe the most talked about item on wit & whimsy because years later it is still one of my favorite + most worn items in my closet. So many of my girlfriends have bought it after seeing me in it constantly and they all can’t agree enough that it is worth every penny. I also have it in gray! (I wear it in a Medium). For more affordable cashmere I can’t recommend Everlane’s $100 cashmere enough.
- A little black dress. This of course goes without saying but all us gals should have a little black dress that makes us feel amazing. One of my favorites is by the brand Black Halo (size up for their styles though!) Kate Spade also always does a great LBD and Chicute has a great selection, too.
- A trench coat. It took me years to find the perfectly stylish trench coat and now that I have one I can’t believe how long I lived without it! Paired over any outfit I feel instantly more put together. Club Monaco always does a good one. I also like this one, this one and this one.
. . .
So what do you guys think? Could you do a capsule wardrobe? Do you agree with my picks?
Jeans (wearing a 28 – only $98!) // Button Down (wearing a US 8; love this one, too!) // Chanel Slingbacks (look alikes here, here!) // Cluse Watch // Miansai Cuff // Giles & Brother Cuff